8 servings | 10 prep minutes | 60 cook minutes
Adapted from Joshua Weissman
Ingredients Link to heading
- 2.5 pounds russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano, grated
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground rosemary
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
Method Link to heading
- Peel, rinse, and cut potatoes into ~1 inch cubes.
- Place potatoes in a medium sized pot and cover with water.
- Add salt and bring to a boid for 7-10 minutes or until easily pierced by a fork.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot.
- Add butter, milk, and sour cream. Hand mash or whip untl smooth.
- While potatoes are cooking, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat in a large saucepan and set aside.
- Add vegetables and 1 tablespoon of butter to the same pan and cook over medium heat until soft.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Deglaze with 1/2 cup red wine and bring to a boil.
- Mix in spices and Worcestershire sauce, then reduce until all of the liquid is evaporated.
- Add beef stock, salt and pepper to taste, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in frozen peas and return ground beef to the saucepan. Cook just until peas are hot.
- Evenly spread filling onto the bottom of a large casserole dish, follow with mashed potatoes, and top with grated cheese.
- Bake at 375℉ for 20 minutes.
- Allow to rest for at least 20 minutes prior to serving.